Parenting Through Separation
The Mission is the sole provider of the Ministry of Justice’s Parenting Through Separation (PTS) course throughout the Otago region (North Otago, Central Otago, Dunedin City, and Clutha). PTS courses are extremely helpful to couples with children who are separating , as well as others who may be involved in a dispute with an ex-partner regarding children. PTS has helped tens of thousands of people and in many cases has reduced stress on children and families/whanau by avoiding the expense, delays and conflict that family court proceedings can involve. PTS encourages parents to put the needs of their children first and increases participant’s knowledge of the effects their separation has on their children. It also increases parents’ knowledge of the services that are available to help them.
PTS aims to:
- Increase parents’ knowledge of the effects of their separation on children
- Help parents to communicate more effectively with their children and each other
- Encourage parents to jointly make arrangements that are in the best interests of their children
- Encourage parents to resolve disputes where possible without resorting to court
- Encourage parents to fill out a parenting plan as the basis for a workable agreement
- Increase parents’ knowledge of services that are available to help them to reach agreement.
PTS is designed for people who are responsible for children and who:
- Are thinking about separation
- Are going through separation
- Have already separated
- Have a dispute regarding the care of children
- Note: parents are never scheduled to attend the same session together.
Outcomes for Participants:
- Improved parenting outcomes throughout and beyond the separation process
- Increased prospects of agreement about care arrangement for their children without going to court
For more information, or to book a PTS course, call our freephone 0800 PTSCOURSE (0800 787268)
Parenting Through Separation is funded by the Ministry of Justice.