Driver Licence Training
Prisoners at Otago Corrections Facility learn the road code and obtain their learner licences to assist with job prospects and mobility upon release. Literacy and reading comprehension are major components, and the course contributes to reducing recidivism rates as many instances of recall to prison are caused by unlicensed driving while on probation.
Outcomes for Participants:
- Over 90% of participants get their learner licence on the first attempt
- First step towards obtaining a restricted drivers licence
- Reduces the risk of recall to prison for participants on parole
- Provides a valuable form of photo ID
- Improved skills and confidence in literacy and classroom learning
Driver Licence Training is funded by the Department of Corrections.